Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Third Round Picks - Clint Barmes, SS & Brian Fuentes, CL

With my trade during the Winter Meetings, I have 2 picks for the 3 rounds. Both of my third round picks turned out to be Rockies.
My first pick of the third round was Clint Barmes, the young shortstop. Most of the top shortstops were already under contract so the pickings were slim. Lugo and Eckstein went ahead and most of the rest were promising but injury prone (Bobby Crosby and Khalil Greene) or fading (Omar Vizquel). Barmes has the chance to become a stud, especially in Coors Field with all the good hitting around him. He should get a contract to start the season.
Closers were going fast and furious with very few guys left that were going into the season as their team's undisputed closer. Tom Gordon and Brian Fuentes were the top two on my list. Fuentes has better stats but plays in a terrible park for a so-so club while Gordon will get plenty of oppurtunties with the Phillies. In this case I am glad Flash went to the Heat. He isn't getting younger while Fuentes could be closing for years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home