Saturday, February 14, 2009

2009 Draft

Recap of the first five rounds.
1 - Justin Morneau, 1B - I was looking to trade down, but couldn't get a deal done so this pick became a toss up between Morneau and Berkman. I went with youth since their stats are very similar.
2 - Ricky Nolasco, SP - I traded down in the second and picked up another 3rd rounder. Nolasco had a great 08 season. My primary target here was Edinson Volquez but he went two spots before me. Nolasco only had two less wins and a twenty less strikeouts, but a lower WHIP.
3a - Carlos Marmol, RP - Marmol put up an insane 11.78 K/9 strikeout ratio last year. I figure at least 45 saves for the Cubs this year.
3b - Max Scherzer, RP/SP - A bit of reach for this promising talent. He is slated to be in the rotation but qualifies at RP so I have lots of flexibility.
4 - Frank Francisco, RP - I took Francisco over other available closers due to his great K rate (11.84/9) and the fact that the Rangers should be better this year.
5 - Erik Bedard, SP - Was playing hurt last year on a terrible Mariners team. I expect a return to 180+ K's.

I don't have a 6th or 8th round picks. I will be looking to flesh out my empty roster positions in the later rounds.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home